Bologna 

The capital of Emilia Romagna, Bologna is one of Italy’s art cities, characterized by certain architectural features that identity it as unique in Italy and the world.
Its Medieval origins can still be seen in the remains of the old city walls surrounding the center and in the 10 gates still intact of the original 12. Within these walls developed the miles of arched porticoes for which Bologna is renowned, gracing its historic buildings and lining the main streets of the city.


Bologna is also home to the oldest university in the western world, the Alma Mater, founded in 1088. Students from around the world have historically contributed to Bologna’s cultural and social liveliness, just as they do today.

The great historical and artistic heritage of the city can be seen in its ancient palaces, churches, squares and architecture as well as in the famous works of art exhibited in the many galleries and museums scattered around the old city center, open to the public year round.
The artistic and cultural prestige of the city was recently recognized by UNESCO, who awarded Bologna the title of "European Capital of Culture" in 2000 and nominated it a "City of Music" in 2006.

Bologna is easily accessible from Molino del Pero Golf Club by taking the Savena river valley road that leads to the center city in just half an hour.

MUSEO CIVICO MEDIEVALE

The Medieval Museum of Bologna is located in Palazzo Ghisilardi and holds many of the artifacts of Medieval Bologna.


Among the most important works is a statue of Pope Boniface VIII along with other tomb monuments dedicated to the most illustrious graduates of Bologna University (the oldest University in the western world).


The Museum’s collection is further enriched by an important selection of French and Italian ivories, precious Murano glass, weapons and artifacts of courtly life dating back to the Bentivoglio family, liturgical books and typical Bolognese School bronze sculptures (including the model for the Neptune statue by Giambologna).

MUSEO CIVICO ARCHEOLOGICO

The Archaeological Museum of Bologna is located in the historic center, next to the Basilica of San Petronio, a few steps from Piazza Maggiore. Since late 1800, the Museum has been housed in Palazzo Galvani with 5 different collections on display in its great halls.

 
ETRUSCAN COLLECTION: Bologna’s most important collection of Etruscan artifacts, found during excavations carried out in 1800 in the city.


GREEK COLLECTION: This is an important collection of material coming from the University’s collection as well as from donations from illustrious Bolognese patrons.


ROMAN COLLECTION: This collection of artifacts coming from the Roman colony of Bononia was unearthed during local excavations.


EGYPTIAN COLLECTION: This collection of Egyptian artifacts was donated by noteworthy 19th century Bolognese figures to their city.


COIN COLLECTION: this collection consists of coins and medals dating from Roman times until the present day. This is one of the largest numismatic collections Italian.

MUSEO INTERNAZIONALE DELLA MUSICA

The International Museum of Music is located in the heart of the historic center, in Palazzo Sanguinetti.
On the first floor of the building an array of musical instruments, sheet music, librettos, documents, letters, manuscripts, books and treatises that span six centuries of European music history are displayed in a series of beautifully frescoed rooms.
The building also houses a Music Library, whose historical volumes are available for consultation and borrowing.

MAMBO

The Museum of Modern Art of Bologna, opened in 2007, is housed in the former municipal bakery as part of the urban renewal project of the ex-industrial area within the old city walls now known as the Manifattura delle Arti (Art Factory). It boasts exhibitions by artists from around the world and the GAM (Gallery of Modern Art of Bologna), a permanent collection space.


As a home for contemporary art, Mambo’s location in an area originally dedicated to manufacturing is emblematic of its aim to represent art as an expression of research and experimentation, fostering creative and cultural innovation in the city.

MUSEO MORANDI

The Morandi Museum is located in Palazzo d'Accursio, site of Bologna’s City Hall, in Piazza Maggiore and contains a vast collection of works by the twentieth century Bolognese painter, Giorgio Morandi, donated to the city by the artist’s sister. The exhibition is composed almost entirely of Morandi's paintings, with his predilection for still lifes, landscapes and flowers. The exhibition is displayed along an itinerary that passes through 11 rooms which follow the artist’s life and poetic inspirations chronologically from his earliest to his final works.